Many people always have some doubts-should I buy a big guitar or a travel guitar? Are there many disadvantages of traveling guitars?
In fact, guitars have been available in different sizes since ancient times.
For beginners, the taller friends have relatively longer arms and larger palms. It is easier to hunch back when using a small guitar. Pay special attention to the posture. Petite friends have relatively small hands. If you buy a large guitar and find that your arms are not long enough and your hands can’t hook the strings, you may also have poor posture.
When buying a novice guitar, it is recommended to choose a suitable guitar according to your physical condition
Therefore, when buying a guitar, novices don’t have to worry about whether they want to buy a "big" or a "small" guitar. They should still make a comprehensive assessment based on their height, arm length, palm size, and comfort. As long as the performance is not too laborious, the body will not feel any discomfort after playing for a long time, at least in terms of feel and durability, it is a guitar that suits you.
Common guitar sizes:
General folk guitar: 40 inches ~ 42 inches Classical guitar: 39 inches Travel guitar: less than 38 inches
*1 inch = 2.54 cm
There are some opinions that small guitars are limited by the size of the speakers, resulting in less resonance than large guitars. However, because the size is made smaller, in exchange for its convenience, it also allows guitar learners with small hands or young children to have more choices.
In addition, after raising the budget a little, small guitars can also choose better-quality woods or well-known big brands. In addition to making up for the original lack of resonance, they also have the same sound quality as large guitars!
If you go to a musical instrument store and ask a clerk to introduce the guitar, you may hear: "This is a side sheet, made of XXX wood." "This hand is plywood, using the OOOO method." What does the side sheet, plywood, or full sheet mean? What?
Sandwiches and thick slices of toast
"Plywood" is like a sandwich-like plywood. It is actually a three-layer board with poor quality boards or even wood chips. Of course, the resonance is no better than solid wood.
On the other hand, the so-called "single" guitar is a piano made of solid wood on the front panel and plywood on the back and sides; the "full single" guitar is all made of solid wood; there is another less common one. "Single back sheet" means that the front panel and back panel are made of solid wood.
Supplementary note: Since the panel affects the sound the most, the "single board" generally refers to the "face sheet"!
The price of a guitar includes a comprehensive addition of workmanship, sound, and brand value. When the sum is very low, problems such as "poor sound quality", "poor workmanship", and "inaccurate sound" are likely to occur.
- Poor sound quality- refers to the feeling that the sound contains impurities and is not saturated, but it has nothing to do with the volume and tone (for example: bright, warm, etc.).
- Poor workmanship- ranging from poor settings, high string pitch makes you painful to press the strings, posture is easy to make mistakes, and even hurt. If it is heavy, the angle of the fingerboard is wrong, and the string is still playing at a high pitch, and the maintenance cost may exceed the price of a piano. Then there is a sloppy finish on the appearance details, without texture.
- Inaccurate pitch- Inaccurate setting of the scale grid position will cause you to be inaccurate even if the open string is tuned correctly, but it is inaccurate when you press it down, so no matter how you play it, it won't sound good. *Note: Inaccurate sound is a workmanship problem. If there is too much sound difference, it is almost irreversible.
Therefore, even if you are a novice guitar player, we still do not recommend buying a guitar under 5000 yuan.
And the price is more than 5,000 yuan, you can buy a high-end piano with good quality; novices with ample budget can choose a veneer piano with a price of 10,000 yuan, which has obvious differences in sound quality and sustain performance compared to a plywood, and It can avoid the loss of having to spend a lot of money to change the piano after learning for a while (usually there are requirements for the timbre after learning for a while, so you will not buy a plywood).
It is impossible for any brand in the world to achieve "the string pitch setting of every guitar is the same" when it leaves the factory, but of course, the higher the brand, the smaller the error value; the lesser-branded and lower-priced guitars are more likely to have excessive Opportunity for high string distance.
A good store will do the string pitch setting once before the guitar is put on the shelf! Therefore, if pianos of the same brand and model are purchased in different places, they are likely to have a completely different feel.
*Note 1: The picture is a schematic diagram of super high chord distance.
*Note 2: The string pitch of our company is set to 12 fret (fret): the first string is 2mm, and the sixth string is 2.5mm.
4. What are the barrels?
The guitar barrel is definitely not just its appearance. "Different" guitar barrels will have different sound characteristics, and the "same" barrel may be slightly different on different brands. For those who are new to the term "barrel body", you can first understand which barrels are there and what kind of sound it will probably make.
Establish the basic cognition of the barrel sound when choosing a novice guitar, it will be a lot more fun when learning
This barrel has a long history and a strong retro feel. It is the favorite of Wenqing. The styles of various manufacturers are slightly different, and the size is also different. It is less common in Taiwan. The unique vocal resonance is very suitable for brushing chords, blues, and country music. The sound characteristics are crisp and clear, mostly 36 and 38 inches.
It is similar in shape to the Parlor barrel but larger overall. It is the form of the guitar at the beginning, from 0 barrels to 00 barrels and 000 (OM) barrels that gradually increase later.
0000 / OM barrel
One of the most common guitar barrels on the market, mostly 39 or 40 inches. It has the characteristics of meticulous and grainy, similar to the classical guitar, suitable for playing genres. The two barrels are the same, but the chord length is 24.9 inches for the 1000 barrel and 25.4 inches for the OM barrel.
The representative of traveling guitar, Taylor guitar broke through the innate resonance shortcomings of small guitars in 2010, and was subsequently imitated by guitar manufacturers around the world to drive the traveling guitar trend.
The barrel body, which is the most difficult to distinguish from the OM barrel, has the upper shoulders narrower, more inclined, and wider bottom than the OM barrel. The sound quality is clear and distinct, which is the favorite of finger bomb players, so it is also the barrel with the most missing corners.
The barrels of each brand have their own merits and are slightly different. This guitar is the appearance of Martin guitars, and the upper and lower parts are more flat.
Small Jumbo bucket
Like the big Jumbo barrel, it has the characteristics of large volume. The appearance is slightly different from the same 36-inch GS mini barrel, commonly known as Small Jumbo (SJ barrel) and Little Jumbo (LJ barrel). A round butt is the most recognizable feature!
The large-volume speaker has an explosive resonance effect, suitable for playing, singing, and fingerstyle. It is an all-round barrel. The standard Jumbo barrel is 42 inches, but due to its large size, many small Jumbo forms have appeared in recent years, ranging from 36 to 40 inches.
In 1937, Gibson first published an enlarged Jumbo barrel, so it is called the Grand Jumbo (GJ barrel). It has an inherent resonance advantage and a comprehensive sound, but the disadvantage is that it is too bulky. It can be up to 43 inches.
It is a standard and classic body, with a large barrel and excellent low frequency. Compared with other barrels, the sound frequency is the most average and full of resonance. It has a sense of surround and covering. It is suitable for playing and singing and brushing chords. It is mostly 41 inches.
Shoulder D bucket
It is obviously different from the common D barrel, which became a classic in 1942 due to the introduction of Gibson. But in fact, similar barrels appeared long before that. Because of the warm color and full bass, it is also suitable for singing and playing musicians.
It is commonly known as the small D bucket, but there are still obvious differences between the two in actual observation. The 34-inch design is most suitable for small guitars to be carried when traveling, and also suitable for petite women or young children. It is easy and effortless to play. However, due to the limitation of the barrel body, volume guides recommend that you purchase the styles above the sheet to reach the standard.
5. Do you value [appearance]?
Appearance is often an important consideration for many people. After all, a good guitar may accompany you for a lifetime. Maybe you are not a person who pays attention to appearance, but at the beginning, you can also follow the guitar "wood" or "painting method" as the basis for your consideration, because these will have an impact on the tone.
- Wood <br>In addition to affecting the sound, the wood of the guitar also has its own unique color. The following is a list of three common woods and their characteristics.
Others include red pine (cedar), which is often used for classical guitars, or sapele, which is commonly used on ukulele.
Yellow, the tone is brighter (bright).
Orange-red, the tone is more mellow.
There are obvious deep and shallow lines, the tone is more rounded, and the penetrability is better.
- How to paint <br>If you don’t understand, you can get a rough understanding of the following two lacquer surfaces and their effects on the sound. When testing the piano, you can try the sound characteristics of the two lacquer surfaces, and then choose your own favorite:
1. Open style : Because this kind of lacquer eliminates the process of filling the wood grain, the cost is low. It is common in the beginner piano models. The grain can be seen with the naked eye . The advantage is that the sound transmission is more direct and the penetration is better. it is good.
2. Closed type : As the wood grains have been filled, the texture will be improved whether it is bright or matte. However, because the thickness of the lacquer will affect the tone, the sound will be more concentrated if handled well, and too thick will blind the sound and affect the resonance of the wood. Low-cost beginner pianos often save workmanship and only need brightness regardless of thickness, which greatly increases the possibility of sound dull.
For pianos at the initial price, unless you have a special appearance preference, it is not recommended to buy pianos with opaque lacquer. Heavy lacquer will affect the resonance effect of the wood, and it may also cover up the possibility of inferior wood.
Finally, there are all single pianos that are extremely simple in workmanship and are completely focused on sound; there are also gorgeous plywood pianos that focus on beautiful appearance; of course, the more work, the more time-consuming and the more expensive it is, these will be reflected in the pricing. So understand your own demand orientation, so you won't waste money when you buy it!
Martin made a two million guitar commemorative model in 2017. The workmanship is complicated, beautiful and exaggerated.
Taiwanese brand-Sunrise Guitar Pukana La has made an undecorated all-single guitar. There are ten thousand yuan to find!
6. Do I need to buy [Electric Acoustic Guitar]?
Regardless of whether you are a novice guitar or not, unless you have performance or recording needs, it is not recommended to buy a guitar with pickups~
- A. Pickups are not "given" to the guitar, but are "added" to the price.
- B. The pickups also have different grades and suitable usage differences, so the original pickups may not be suitable for your accustomed playing method. For example, the Fingerstyle technique that requires percussion on the panel is not suitable for lower-string pillow-type pickups.
- C. Electronic equipment is prone to oxidation and rust, wire damage and other problems if it is not used for a long time.
Therefore, we suggest that after you have learned to a certain level and have basic equipment knowledge, you can find an experienced instrument store to buy and install it!
- From the experience of the physical store, it is not easy to be deceived to seek advice from the store after understanding your needs, and it is easier to find, especially the first guitar is particularly important!
- The barrel and neck of each guitar have different thicknesses, widths, and narrowness. How does it feel to be hugged? Is it comfortable to hold? Will affect the willingness to learn. Even if it is an old piano gifted by relatives and friends, it is recommended that it be handed over to a musical instrument store for professional inspection and tidying up.
In addition, the following introduction is also for your reference. In addition to a basic humidity storage environment, a good musical instrument shop should also have:
1. Guitar quality and brand selection (choose high CP value products at the same price)
2. New product defect inspection (defects may occur if it is not paid attention to when leaving the factory or during delivery)
3. Check and adjust the string pitch before putting it on the shelf (the string pitch will affect the quality of playing, the lower the better, but if it is too low, the string will produce noise)
4. Loosen the guitar strings on the rack (the tension of the strings tuned to the tuning can reach 60-80 kg, which is easy to cause the neck to bend for a long time)
5. Deal with consumers honestly (not arbitrarily pricing, not concealing the advantages and disadvantages of products)
6. Commodity warranty (protecting the basic rights and interests of consumers)
7. After-sales service (most needed by novices, including: maintenance instructions, auxiliary string change, neck adjustment, string pillow setting...)
"A good piano will make you go to heaven, and a bad piano will make you go to hell." This is of course exaggerated, but it is not unreasonable.
Let me talk about this first. I believe you already have a certain understanding of guitars, but Jiang is still hot. I hope you don’t run into bad stores when buying guitars!